Gazprom withdraws claim against Lithuania

As a result, the arbitration court had terminated the proceedings initiated by Russia’s gas concern, the Energy Ministry said on Thursday, adding that such an outcome had been expected since the onset of the dispute.

Gazprom initiated international arbitration proceedings under the UNCITRAL (United Nations’ Commission on International Trade Law) arbitration rules back in 2012 as it sought to put on hold or prevent reorganization of Lietuvos Dujos (Lithuanian Gas), a Lithuanian natural gas utility then co-owned by the Russian gas giant.

Gazprom claimed that Lithuania breached its bilateral investment treaty with Russia by carrying out the unbundling of Lietuvos Dujos in line with the EU Third Energy Package.

“Lithuania has always said that Gazprom’s claims and discontent are unfounded and Gazprom’s investment has not been affected. Lithuania has reformed its gas sector in pursuit of a strategic goal to create a diversified and efficient common gas market, where consumers have a choice and monopolies cannot abuse their dominant position,” the ministry said in a press release.

Related Post

Former Energy Minister Jaroslav Neverovič said last September that Lithuania was very close to an official amicable deal with Gazprom on this claim.

The dispute lost any sense when Gazprom divested its shareholdings in Lietuvos Dujos and Amber Grid last June.

Reorganization of Lithuania’s gas sector was finalized late in October after the spin-off of Lietuvos Dujos’ supply operations, which were taken over by newly-established Lietuvos Dujų Tiekimas (Lithuanian Gas Supply).

The ministry added that the termination of those proceedings would have no effect on another dispute between Lithuania and Gazprom, i.e. on the 1.5-billion-euro claim, which Lithuania had filed in Stockholm against Gazprom for overcharging of gas supplies between 2004 and 2012.

Share

Recent Posts

  • Latest

Prosecutor’s Office announces the fate of the four missing US soldiers: death investigation launched, still silence from the services

On March 31 morning, Minister of National Defence Dovilė Šakalienė announced that an M88 armoured…

6 days ago
  • Latest

A few questions to Mr. Putin, Mr. Trump and all those calling for “peace at all costs”

I admit it: I’m not that type of person who follows domestic and international politics…

2 weeks ago
  • Latest

Message from the President’s Office to Paluckas on Žemaitaitis

While Prime Minister Gintautas Paluckas does not take issue with the statements made by the…

2 months ago
  • Economy

Surprised by what’s happening in Lithuania: this is what makes us stand out in the EU

Lithuanian economists are surprised to see our country's economic growth: the Estonian economy has been…

2 months ago
  • Politics

Will the coalition shut the door on Žemaitaitis?

"The fate of Nemuno Aušra (Dawn of Nemunas) in the coalition has been decided; they…

2 months ago
  • Tribune

Airvolve has begun the patenting process for an exclusive aircraft

Airvolve, a Lithuanian dual-purpose aeronautics company, has successfully completed its first round of testing and…

2 months ago