DELFI / Karolina Pansevič
The Migration Department turned down the asylum application of Titov, a former Novaya Gazeta journalist who came to Lithuania in 2016, and the Vilnius Regional Administrative Court later dismissed his appeal.
The Russian confirmed to BNS that he had already appealed the Vilnius court’s decision to the Lithuanian Supreme Administrative Court.
Misiūnas says that officials at the Migration Department probably looked at Titov’s asylum request formally and failed to appropriately assess the context.
“I’ll inquire about this matter,” he told reporters on Wednesday.
Titov, who came to Lithuania from Krasnodar in late 2016, says that he was afraid to stay in Russia after facing pressure from the authorities over his activities.
“I can’t return to Russia. If (the courts) finally dismiss my appeals, I’ll go to Ukraine,” he told BNS.
The Migration Department on February 21, 2017 refused to grant asylum to the Russian journalist, saying that his fears were objectively unsubstantiated.
In its opinion to the Migration Department, the Foreign Ministry said that Titov’s security would likely be endangered if he returned to Russia.
On March 31 morning, Minister of National Defence Dovilė Šakalienė announced that an M88 armoured…
I admit it: I’m not that type of person who follows domestic and international politics…
While Prime Minister Gintautas Paluckas does not take issue with the statements made by the…
Lithuanian economists are surprised to see our country's economic growth: the Estonian economy has been…
"The fate of Nemuno Aušra (Dawn of Nemunas) in the coalition has been decided; they…
Airvolve, a Lithuanian dual-purpose aeronautics company, has successfully completed its first round of testing and…