What are the signs of narcissistic personality disorder? Who is a narcissist? If you want to know, read the article. We will tell you how to spot one.
Main Characteristics of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
The concept of a narcissistic person is widely misunderstood today. Though many people consider it a characteristic of a selfish, self-admiring individual, the term narcissist refers to a person who has a narcissistic personality disorder or simply NPD.
What is narcissistic personality disorder?
It is a mental condition marked by an escalated sense of a person’s own importance. These people are excessively craving for attention and admiration from other people and lack empathy for those around them.
This is the outer expression of a personality that hides a fragile and unconfident nature inside.
Narcissistic personality disorder might not seem like a serious problem. However, it may cause a lot of inconveniences in the lives of people and of the person diagnosed with this disorder.
This mental condition takes a serious toll on all spheres of one’s life:
- Narcissistic personality disorder can cause serious relationship crises, issues, and conflicts at work or study.
- It causes severe anxiety and depression or negatively affects overall well-being.
- A solid number of individuals suffering from this mental issue have substance abuse problems and experience suicidal thoughts (or have been trying to commit suicide).
Therefore, it’s extremely important to recognize the signs, diagnose the disorder, and start treating it accordingly.
Down below, you will find all the essential information regarding NPD, its main symptoms, and ways to cope with it.
General Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms
Before we start exploring the main symptoms of NPD, let’s find out what are the main causes.
It’s impossible to define the roots of it clearly. But among the main factors that can cause it are:
Excessive criticism from parents or, on the contrary, adoration during childhood may cause this disorder. Also, the main reasons include genetic predisposition.
An interesting fact you should know about this narcissistic personality disorder is that it more often affects men than women.
Usually, the first symptoms will occur in teens or early adulthood. So, the earlier you recognize it and start treatment, the faster the coping process will happen. Children may demonstrate some signs of narcissistic personality disorder. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that they will develop it.
Once you know more about the nature of this disorder, let’s take a look at the most typical symptoms that might indicate a narcissistic personality disorder.
These include the following:
- an overinflated and exaggerated sense of self-importance in the lives of other people;
- urge for unstoppable admiration or praise from everyone around;
- need to be treated by other people with special attention because of the made-up feeling of superiority;
- convincement of being unique with uncomparable traits and talents;
- lack of empathy to other people;
- inability to discern people’s feelings, emotions, needs;
- inability to react adequately to criticism;
- a tendency to use and take advantage of people;
- arrogant and assumptive behavior;
- troubles with controlling and regulating their own emotions;
- depressive and anxious mood because of failures;
- inability to respond to the stressful situation and adapt accordingly;
- hidden insecurity and sense of inferiority.
The special attention among these symptoms we should devote to the inability to perceive criticism from other people adequately. When a narcissistic person gets some, they become very angry or experience rage attacks because of it. They are reluctant to listen carefully and make proper conclusions.
However, it’s paramount to understand that this list of symptoms should not be used for self-diagnosing or diagnosing another person. If you recognize these symptoms in yourself or someone close to you, the best tactic is to get diagnosed by a specialist and get an online therapy session with a licensed professional.
Only they will be able to confirm a diagnose like this and give advice on how to cope with NPD.
Getting Professional Help with Narcissistic Personality Disorder
As you can see from the symptoms list, this is a pretty complex disorder though it might seem quite the opposite at first glance. If you have recognized some of the symptoms, turn for help to a trusted and experienced professional who will help you accurately diagnose your mental condition.
Find a reliable therapist to define the treatment plan and find the right approach to providing emotional support and guidance. Effective treatment will help you or your loved one overcome this narcissistic personality disorder and improve well-being and life quality.
If you are asking yourself how therapy will help a person with such a diagnosis, then after a number of sessions, it will be possible to:
- develop a treatment plan;
- share all thoughts and feelings to be relieved and understood;
- improve your relationship with friends, family, peers, and colleagues;
- embrace your strengths and weaknesses to resist harsh criticism or easily accept your failures emotionally;
- learn to be in control of your emotions;
- improve your self-esteem and self-confidence;
- set healthy and realistic personal goals;
- lead a meaningful life.
While looking for an online therapy service, it’s crucial to take time and do some research. It’s important to explore the service range and get familiar with therapists to evaluate their expertise.
Make sure the therapist you communicate with is someone you can fully trust and rely on during the sessions. You have to be comfortable around them.
Bear in mind that narcissistic personality disorder has to be taken as a serious mental health issue. If you want to get extensive advice regarding symptoms and start the treatment process to get better, you should consider highly competent professionals at Calmerry.
Don’t be afraid to make the first step to a healthier life.
Our mental health is something we have to pay extra attention to all the time. It is vital to start dealing with a problem if one was recognized and diagnosed.
In the case of a narcissistic personality disorder, you have to pay attention to the way you feel and behave and compare it with the symptoms we have provided in this article.
If you know that you or someone you love have symptoms and suffer from narcissistic personality disorder, don’t hesitate to turn for professional assistance. Licensed therapists with years of experience will offer their help to make your life better.
Online therapy is the most convenient and affordable way to get all the support and guidance you might need during the most difficult periods in your life. Don’t wait and start today to change yourself and enjoy your life!